New Year, New Bookshelf!


As I entered the New Year of 2021 (hopefully better than 2020), I was determined to fulfill my New Year resolution to read more- apart from my typical textbook reading assignments for class. What I’ve noticed is that reading reduces my stress, exercises my brain, and even helps me sleep. In honor of Black History Month, I wanted to share these books that I’m putting on my shelf. As an education student at the University of New Hampshire, I spend a lot of my reading time thinking not just about what books will deepen my understanding, but also what books I can add to what will someday be my classroom library, books that will represent diverse experiences all year round.



The Hate U Give is my first recommendation, and it’s for young adult/adult readers (so, if I end up teaching upper elementary school, I won’t put this one on THAT shelf!). This novel is written by Angie Thomas and captures Starr Carter’s experiences as a BIPOC student attending a predominantly white private school during the time after she witnesses her Black friend being shot by the police. The Hate U Give left me speechless and was one of the first books I read that helped me think outside of Whiteness.



Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport is another book I am adding to my bookshelf. This book is helpful for teachers and parents of young children as it introduces the activism led by Martin Luther King Jr. at a level for young children to understand. It can help teachers/ parents who want to begin the topic of the Civil Rights Movement, MLK’s impact and understanding diversity/race in the country. This is definitely a great add to my future teaching career and motherhood shelf.

Never Caught:The Story of Ona Judge (young readers edition) captures the behind-the-scene- life of the slave of the First Family, George and Martha Washington. I’m adding this to my shelf to learn about Ona Judge’s journey of being born into slavery, and then fleeing the most powerful couple in America. This book is especially important for those of us from New Hampshire - Ona Judge lived most of her life in Portsmouth and Greenland, NH, and her story is an important part of New Hampshire History. The authors, Erica Armstrong Dunbar & Kathleen Van Cleve, shine a light on Ona’s struggles and successes, and readers will come to understand Ona's incredible strength in evading re-capture. Dr. Erica Armstrong Dunbar came to UNH on February 22nd and discussed Never Caught:The Story of Ona Judge. Here is the link to the event, and when the recording goes live, we'll update this blog post with the link.

What are you reading right now? What books are you putting on your classroom shelves? Share them with us in the comments. We always love book suggestions.

*** A note from the CLC - Kaitlyn Melchionda is a Junior at the University of New Hampshire studying Education, and the CLC Program Assistant. We're thrilled to share her first blog post for the CLC!***

Comments